Monday, November 17, 2008

From Father to Son

One day, I was up in Brainerd visiting my parents and went for a ride with my dad. I had a big conversation ahead of me that I needed to talk to him with. I was nervous, but not scared. You see, I felt neglected over the years. I felt as though I did not get the love that I deserved. With each day that I went on with this thought, I built the wall higher and higher, wider and wider. I saw him as an amazing man, but I didn't see him as a loving man. As we went for a ride, I brought it up, but not to make him feel bad or even just aware, but because I was ready to forgive him. So, I did. After I forgave him, I realized that I needed to ask for forgiveness because of what I had done. I had separated us with anger. I had made it impossible for him to be close to me. So, I asked for forgiveness. You know what he said!? He said that I never need to ask for forgiveness because he loves me unconditionally and he will always want the best for me. I had just told him how much of a jerk I had been to him, that I had disconnected us and he says, "don't worry about it." As if I had accidentally spilt a little water on the counter top!?! I couldn't believe it! Last night, I was thinking about this and how God was using this in my life....

Think about this for a second. From the very first day that we are born, we are predetermined to live a sinful life! We don't have an option in that. Because when we are born, we are given the choice to live with God or without. And you know what else!? From before we are even born, God is in pursuit of us. He wants us to seek him. He waits for us to turn to Him. From before we are a thought, before we are born and forevermore, God loves us unconditionally. He loves us always no matter what decisions we make. He loves us, and wishes for us to turn towards Him, whether we believe in Him or not. He is a patient God. Thank goodness! Because for some of us, it takes a long time. Sometimes until our last breath. It doesn't matter though, because just like a father's love for an angry son, God loves us and waits for us no matter what.
Isaiah 54: 10
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you.

So, when you are thinking about how long it's been since you've felt to God, just remember, He is waiting and is always waiting! He loves us no matter what, whether we are on the straightest path ever, or nowhere near the path, His love shines over you and He awaits your return with open arms and more love than you will ever know to experience!

No comments: