Wednesday, November 12, 2008

11-12-08: Matthew: 19

Matthew 19: 1-12
Alright, this chapter starts out with divorce, a chapter that I think everyone in the world should read over and over these days with a society that sees it as something that is so acceptable. Jesus explains marriage as a joining into "one flesh." He goes on to say, "So they are no longer two but one. Therefor what God has joined together, let man not separate." When you marry another through God, you are joined as one. You are no longer two different people. God will join you two so you are able to do God's will as one entity. If you divorce, then it was because of man, because you have left God behind and did your own will. Jesus says, "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery." If you live your life for God and give him your faith, and if it is God's will, you will be joined with one of the opposite sex in marriage, becoming "one flesh." It is only through God that a marriage will work. It is only through our Lord that we truly become one. Some asked, would it not be better if they did not marry? In 1 Cor: 7-9 Jesus explains it, "I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is food for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

Matthew 19: 16-30
This passage talks about our way to heaven. The rich young man walks up to Jesus and bluntly, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" Jesus tells him to follow the commandments. The young man replies saying he has followed the commandments. Jesus then asks the man to give all his possessions away and give up everything to follow Jesus. The young man walked away sad because he acquired much wealth. The young man was thinking that he could go to Jesus and use his wealth in a righteous act in order to preserve his spot in the Kingdom of Heaven. Because the young man was thinking for himself, wanting to live his wealthy life and just pay off his way to the Kingdom, he was not actually doing good. For God explains that all good begins with Him. Therefor, in order to do good, you must start with God. After this is explained, Peter asks Jesus in Matthew 19: 27 "...We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?" They were given eternal life, 12 thrones to judge the 12 areas of Isreal. Everyone who leaves there mother, father, brother, sister in order to follow Jesus is granted a hundred times as much and eternal life.

So, quite simply put, in order to receive eternal life, we must give up everything in this world in order to follow Jesus. It does not mean you have to become a wanderer, even though for some, it does. Rather, most of us will need to get rid all distraction from God. In my case, I am giving up friends, I gave up drinking, I am giving up a lifestyle. I wish I could say that I was there, but I am not. I am still learning where I am not giving myself to God and need to correct these areas. I lived 24 years gaining worldly thoughts and possessions. Now, I will spend the rest of my life giving up these possessions, lifestyles, habits, etc.

Just a reminder, I am new to writing what I am learning and would love insight, help, anything you can add.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Wow, the last sentence of your blog is so powerful! Thank you for being so open and candid. Your words are refreshing and inspiring. Keep on growing! And bring us along with you. ;)
- Becky